Sunday, July 24, 2011

Jewelry Essentials

Sometimes you have the urge to dress yourself up in jewels. Other times, you want to wear nothing. And then there are those times where you only want to wear key pieces; the ones you wear no matter what. I get that. That's me! Hey, I  think it's always in style to accessorize, but sometimes you CAN go too far. I'm sure I've done it a time or two. You know, the earrings with the matching necklace and bracelet. Or an accessory on just about every limb. Whether we like to admit it or not, it's happened to the best of us. And in an effort to avoid those mistakes, I've compiled a list of essential jewelry items. A list of pieces I think every woman should own, pieces that you can wear for any occasion or with any outfit. So reach for your jewelry box and start digging...you may surprise yourself on what you find, and you may just find those essential items were there all along :)

Diamonds are a girl's best friend. So true indeed! Except we aren't talking the 13 or 14 karat items- you know, the diamonds you've always dreamed of having. We're strictly talking about the basics..the diamond studs and matching pendant. These 2 pieces will carry your wardrobe so far. You'll wear these items your entire life- I promise. That is unless you don't like diamonds, and I've yet to meet a woman who didn't! None the less, diamonds are forever elegant and classy. They add that extra touch when you feel your outfit is missing something, and they are extremely versatile. Diamonds can be worn with any outfit. Any!!!! (Keep in mind, we are talking about stud earrings- not the ones that dangle. I don't find those very practical ;) ) Yes, diamonds can be pricey- but they are so worth it. This is one jewelry item, I encourage you to invest in. *Side note: I highly encourage purchasing conflict free diamonds- do your research. However, if in fact you can't afford the real thing, you can also purchase what are known as cubic zirconias; essentially man made diamonds. These aren't the real thing, but if you buy a decent pair, they could pose for a diamond. Cubic zirconia is inexpensive, and so easy to get a hold of. You can find such earrings and necklaces at retailers like Claires or The Icing for less than $10. A small price to pay for a piece you can use a whole lot :)

Who said pearls were your mother's jewelry? They aren't! Pearls are timeless and will forever be fashionable. I find that simple strand of pearls to be very sexy on a woman. Like diamonds, pearls are essential and are also pieces you should invest in. They too add the element of class to any outfit. In my opinion, I find pearls to be more formal than diamonds- so I suggest wearing them on occasions. For example, wear them to a wedding, a baptism, graduation, etc. That's not to say, you should only wear these jewels on days when you're celebrating- I just find that pearls look more attractive when you have a reason to wear them. I like to wear my pearls simple; studded earrings and a single stranded necklace. 
However, pearls do come in many forms. There are the classic white, the not so commonly seen black (which I'm lucky to have, thanks to my grandmother) and then the ridiculously beautiful tahitian pearl- the one I've wanted for so long!!! Do your research before buying a pair, there are so many choices. Just like cubic zirconias, pearls also have impostors. These of course are more affordable than the real thing, you'll find them labeled glass pearls and can be purchased at just about any accessory store. If your jewelry box doesn't contain a set of pearls, real or not, I urge you to go out and get a pair!

What time is it?? Even though watches keep time, in a fashion sense, they are timeless. Watches will always be in style. They come in so many different styles, colors, brands, etc. that I couldn't tell you which one is essential. All I know is that  every person should own a watch. Not only are they stylish, they're also quite helpful- reminding you of what time or day it is, especially if you are in the workforce- you need to own a watch. I myself, have 4 watches- but I really only wear 1 all the time; my Michael Kors Chronograph Resin Ladies watch in white (Model MK5187). I absolutely love this watch. I'd say it's one of my key pieces :) I originally got this watch on Amazon.com for $202.50, I'm not sure how much the piece actually retailed for. $200 for a watch is expensive, but I assure you- quality is better than quantity. I bought this piece over a year ago, I wear it just about every day, I've yet to change the battery or send it in for repairs- so spending big bucks on it is no longer a concern. Whether its designer or non name brand, a watch is a must!!!

Don't be afraid to add a little extra to your otherwise stellar ensemble. Sometimes it's the jewelry and accessories that can make an outfit. Have fun with it, and if you're ever in a rut- just remember the essentials. Till then, stay fabulous! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment