Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hair Care Currents


Call me vain, but one of my biggest obsessions is my hair. Ever since I was a little girl, I've always had lots of hair and I've always kept it long. It starts in kindergarten when the little boy who sits behind you pulls your braid. And then it follows you to grade school when your friends want to play with your hair during recess. It continues through junior high and high school when you cut your hair for the first time or try out a different style. Hair is such a part of our identity. It's a reflection of our personality; of who we are. And because of that- it's the reason why I care about my hair so much. 

Now, I'm very fickle when it comes to this subject. I always like to try new products, new tools, different styles, different colors. Needless to say, I get bored after a while. The funny thing about this is, as much as I like change- I don't visit the salon very much. Number 1, I haven't found a hairdresser here in California yet. Number 2, I have to completely trust a person before I let them cut my hair. I'm a bit spoiled. I used to have an aunt that cut my hair while I was living in Hawaii, and before that I had a hairdresser in Vegas I always saw. (Both of whom work for the same salon :) ) Sooo....I cut my own hair for now. Trim might be the better word, I like to keep it maintained. And why not? If you know what you like, know what you're doing and can save big bucks- I say go for it!!!  Which brings me to the point of today's blog, my hair care currents. The products and tools I use on a daily basis or almost daily basis, excluding the sheers- wait about every 6 weeks to use those!

Cleanser

Currently I'm using Suave KIDS 2-in-1 Shampoo Smoothers in Fairy Berry Strawberry, a shampoo and conditioner. I'm really only using it because it smells good and because it's cute. Plus, I got it on sale in a variety pack of 4. On the other hand, it does its job as a cleanser, but because of the thickness of my hair I also use conditioning treatment. I believe these shampoos are fairly inexpensive, so if you just wanted to try something fun or use it for travel this could be an option. 

Products

The next product, I use directly after I towel dry my hair. It's Suave Professionals Weather Protection 360. An anti-frizz and flyaway cream gel, that shields against humidity, static and wind. I've used this product for about 2 years and it works well for me. It's the one product I need to use to ensure my hair will style the way I like it. Again, another inexpensive product that will run you maybe $2 at drugstores. I purchase this on base, so it ends up being cheaper. It smells nice and also works as conditioner. 

I'm sure everyone's heard of this next one. BIOSILK Silk Therapy drops. Retails around $13 (on base) for the smallest size 2.56 fl. oz. Silk drops serve as a smoothing serum and I use this product mostly when and if I wear my hair straight, just to keep it perfectly smooth and moisturized. A pea sized amount is all you really need, a little goes a long way with this product. And I don't mind spending $13 on something that's not full-sized if it will last me. I purchased this bottle in November, it's now August and I still have about 1/4 left. So it's a really good deal. It can be used on hair and skin while wet or dry, it smells amazing and it works. I highly recommend it.

Lastly is L'OREAL Paris' Elnett Satin Hairspray in Extra Strong Hold. This hairspray is designed to protect the style from humidity. It's salon quality and was only recently released in the US. It's only sold at Target stores and  comes in full size and mini. I purchased the mini size, 2.2 oz. for about $6, the larger size is around $13. I don't use this product every day, just when I need extra control to smooth something down or hold it in place. What's so nice about this hairspray is that it doesn't get hard or crunchy like other hairsprays. It leaves a firm hold without turning rock hard, and also it smells fairly decent. It doesn't choke you like most aerosol hairsprays can. If you don't use hairspray that often, I recommend this brand and this size. Very good buy!

Tools

Hot Tools Ceramic and Tourmaline Curling Iron in 1 1/2 in. barrel. This curling iron retails for about $40 give or take and can be purchased at places such as Hottools.com, Amazon.com, Sally Beauty Supply, etc. I had a 20% off coupon at the time I purchased mine so I was pretty excited about that. I've heard lots of things about this curling iron and I wanted to try it out myself. I really like it. I wouldn't say love because I think if I were to have gotten just a ceramic wand instead of the ceramic and tourmaline, it would curl my hair better. However, it does curl nicely, it comes in 1/2 in. to 2 in., heats up to 420 degrees and has a ridiculously long cord- which is one of its best features I think, because it gives you that range when need it. Ceramic is definitely one of the best heating sources for your hair, so I completely support this product, and not just because it's my favorite color ;)

Remington Pearl AC Professional Hair Dryer. Another great styling tool. This is another product purchased on base for $34.99. I don't blow dry my hair unless I absolutely need to. Since I curl my hair everyday, I don't like to add extra heat styling, so I let my hair air dry before I need to curl it. I find that my curls hold better if my hair has been air dried as opposed to blow dried. What I love about this dryer is that the grill is made out of ceramic and crushed pearl, which leaves your hair smooth due to its preferred heat source. The dryer has 3 speeds: Low, Medium and High as well as 3 heat settings: Low, Warm and Hot. It also has a 40% faster drying time than other dryers, which I need desperately since I have lots of hair. That thing gets heavy mannnn!

Split End Treatment

I'm not going to say much about this, since I don't use anything fancy. As you can see, I use a basic black comb that has both fine and wide teeth. I also like to clip my hair in sections when I trim, so I can keep track of what I've already done. And I use a pair of basic hair cutting sheers. I definitely recommend these over your basic household scissors. All items can be purchased at just about any store. Try Target or Wal-Mart for starters. 
Fresh Ends :)

And please make sure to cut/trim your hair while its dry. Remember, hair appears longer when it's wet, so to ensure you are cutting to the desired length PLEASE cut while dry!









So there you go, just a few of the items I use on almost a daily basis to keep these tresses in check. Let me know what you use...I'm always looking for new things! Till then, stay fabulous! XOXO




No comments:

Post a Comment